Stone CC vs. Borden CC, 22.08.15

My day did not start too well as I chopped off the tip of my thumb cutting cake as I was preparing the tea. Then later, at tea, it became apparent that in me trying to stop the blood from said thumb, I left most of the cake at home so there was not enough for both teams and we had to charge them less for tea. Thumb is still bleeding now. As I will be busy tomorrow – it is my first day back for two weeks – I am writing the report now.

Anyway onto the cricket – I lost the toss and we were put into bat on a really hot day. I fear if I had won the toss, I also would have put them in. Myself and Bateley took to the field and started quite quickly for us, but we were pegged back a little with some tight bowling up to the first drinks break. It was not as easy as it looked batting with the normal Stone pitch being occasionally unpredictable with both low and high bounce as usual. We quickened the scoring rate with their bowling change and reached our second 100 partnership in a row in the 27th over with both Bateley and myself reaching our 50s in successive balls. Bateley was out first, caught for another good 55, with the score at 120. Myself and Alfie pushed the score on after the second drinks break. With around ten overs to go, we had about 140. I succumbed to a very tired lazy shot outside the off stump and gloved the ball to the keeper for 85 with a ton there for the taking. Jack and Matt Adair both fell quickly for 10 and 5 respectively. Kelvin and Alfie saw us through to the end, with Alfie finishing on 16* and Kelvin 12* allowing is to reach a good 203 for 4 from 39 overs.

After a nice tea in the sunshine (with not a lot of cake), we took to the field hoping to get them out quick so we did not have to field too long in the heat and allow us to get to the Lads quickly.

Tom and Dino both bowled good tidy spells. Tom bowled as well as he has done for a while with pace and aggression, beating the bat on many occasions finishing with 0 for 19 off six overs. Dino had their batsman in a spin, finishing with 1 for 22 from his eight overs. Both Geoff and Matt Goodfellow both bowled well, although I would have to say not with their normal control, but still they both took valuable wickets. Matt finished with 2 for 43 and Geoff 2 for 34, both from seven overs each. This period of the game is probably where things got away from us with five dropped catches, which should have been taken. It is such a shame because our actual fielding was quite good and we did take some really good catches as well. Richard bought us back in the game with five really good overs, taking 3 for 11. There was also a good run out in one of Richard’s overs. Jack bowled three overs, 0 for 1. Bowden hung on for the last five overs and we just could not get that last wicket. They finished on 132 for 9 from 36 overs. A good winning draw and a great team effort with everyone trying to get the last wicket and with some good team banter in the field with everyone going to the end. It was a shame we could not get the win but, as Matty G said, “catches win matches”, and that is what cost us.

All that was left was to get down the Lads [in the Village] – another late finish though, as it was gone 8.30pm by the time I got there and the away team were about to leave. Shaun did some food again. Roll on next week, as Skipper’s back.

– Dartsy